Monday, March 3, 2008

Obstetrician Visit

Well I went for my weekly check up today. The official 36 week visit. My obs. checked my cervix and as she put it "This kid's way up the gabba." Roughly translated (although I didn't know at the time) is that her head is floating quite high up. Which means she is content to stay in there a while longer. All I can do is have serious talks with her and tell her how miserable she is making mummy all cooped up in her warm eggshell. I need her head to drop further so I can at the very least be induced or have my obstetrican try and kick start labour for me. I don't mind holding on for another week because at the very least I will be full term and won't have to worry about her being a premature bub. But it is however testing my sanity. I am still getting the constant contractions, which are not only uncomfortable but painful as well. I am so big everything is becoming increasingly difficult. The rib pain I am experiencing now is depriving me of sleep. And of course there is absolutley zilcho I can do about it.
Not to mention I still have a 21 month old little girl to waddle after. Although most days its her that keeps me sane. She at least, is a joy to be around, with her constant chatter and cute little antics. I am thankful that although a little toddler bundle of energy, she is not a difficult child to deal with. She is such a happy and obedient child. I am making the most of it while it lasts!! I am hoping that she will still be the same when number 2 comes along. Even more so am I hoping that her good behaviour will rub off on this baby.

Well I am once again having regular painful contractions, probably residual irratibility from the obstetrician checking my cervix, which is no less comfortable then sitting on a very sharp fence post. I guess I wouldn't mind holding out another 2 or 3 weeks if I knew these contractions were at least helping me to dilate. It seems I have a very stubborn cervix. I know I should be thankful considering there are women out there who have incompetent cervix's and lose babies as a result. They usually have to get those awful sutures in place to hold the cervix shut. I seem to have to opposite. I remember with DD it took forever to get my cervix to come down and efface. I just know by 38 weeks I will be begging for something to happen. I am so scared that I will have to push out a 9lb baby and have a fourth degree tear, or worse a c-section because I won't be able to push her out at all! Every one keeps telling me, it's amazing what we can survive. I know of people that have survived far more amazing feats then a painful and difficult birth. Such as the man who fell 11 stories and lived to tell the tale, or the women that was brutally beaten and raped, and then left for dead. But don't you think, as character building as the whole experience was, they would've rather NOT have gone through it all????? I am not saying I don't want to go trough birth, I know I have to, but I DO want to make it as easy as I possibly can thank you very much.

No comments: